Amman, the capital of Jordan, offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here is an extended list of 30 of the best activities in Amman:
Historical and Cultural Attractions:
- Amman Citadel: Explore the ancient ruins, including the Temple of Hercules, at this historic site.
- Roman Theater: Visit the well-preserved Roman Theater for its historical significance and breathtaking views.
- King Abdullah Mosque: Admire the beautiful architecture of this important mosque.
- Jordan Museum: Learn about Jordan’s history and culture through its impressive collection of artifacts.
- Downtown Amman (Al-Balad): Stroll through the bustling streets, markets, and cafes in the city center.
- Rainbow Street: Explore this vibrant area filled with art galleries, shops, and eateries.
- The Royal Automobile Museum: View a unique collection of vintage cars owned by the Jordanian royal family.
- Haya Cultural Center: Attend cultural events and exhibitions highlighting Jordan’s heritage.
- Try Jordanian Cuisine: Savor traditional dishes like mansaf, falafel, shawarma, and knafeh.
- Souk Jara: Shop for handicrafts and local products at this seasonal market.
- Abu Jbara Restaurant: Enjoy Jordanian street food, including falafel and kebabs, at this iconic eatery.
- Hashem Restaurant: Taste authentic Middle Eastern flavors at this renowned restaurant in Downtown Amman.
- Jafra Cafe: Experience traditional Jordanian coffee and sweets in a cozy atmosphere.
- Jerash: Take a day trip to the ancient Roman city of Jerash to explore its well-preserved ruins.
- Dead Sea: Float in the salty waters of the Dead Sea and indulge in a mud bath.
- Mount Nebo: Visit the historic site where Moses is said to have seen the Promised Land.
- Wadi Rum: Embark on a desert adventure and experience the stunning landscapes of Wadi Rum.
- Petra: Plan a multi-day excursion to the UNESCO World Heritage site of Petra, famous for its rock-cut architecture.
- Dana Biosphere Reserve: Hike through this diverse nature reserve with beautiful canyons and wildlife.
- Ajloun Forest Reserve: Explore lush forests and go hiking or birdwatching in this protected area.
- Ma’in Hot Springs: Relax in natural hot springs located in a picturesque desert setting.
Art and Culture:
- Darat al Funun: Visit this contemporary art space showcasing works from the Arab world.
- Royal Film Commission: Attend film screenings, events, and festivals celebrating Arab cinema.
- National Gallery of Fine Arts: Explore Jordanian and Arab art at this museum in Jebel Weibdeh.
- City Mall: Shop at one of Amman’s modern shopping centers, offering a range of international brands.
- The Boulevard: Visit this mixed-use development featuring shops, restaurants, and entertainment options.
- Al-Mukhtar Mall: Explore local and international brands in a relaxed shopping environment.
Amman’s diverse offerings ensure that visitors can enjoy a mix of historical, cultural, culinary, and natural experiences during their stay in the city.