Jordan is a country with a rich history and culture, and is known for its beautiful landscapes and ancient sites. If you’re planning a vacation to Jordan, there are a few things you should know before you go Vacation in Jordan.
- Visa requirements: Visitors to Jordan typically need a visa, which can be obtained upon arrival at the airport or at a Jordanian embassy or consulate. It is always recommended to check the visa requirements with the embassy of Jordan in your country before you travel.
- Currency: The official currency in Jordan is the Jordanian Dinar (JOD). It is best to have some cash on hand, as not all places accept credit cards. You can also find ATMs throughout the country.
- Language: Arabic is the official language of Jordan, but many people also speak English, especially in tourist areas. It is always a good idea to learn a few basic phrases in Arabic, as it will be appreciated by the locals.
- Clothing: Jordan is a Muslim country, so it is important to dress modestly. Avoid revealing clothing, and be sure to cover your shoulders and legs. It is also a good idea to bring a scarf or shawl to cover your head when visiting religious sites.
- Weather: Jordan has a dry, desert climate, with hot summers and mild winters. Be sure to bring sunscreen, a hat, and plenty of water, especially if you plan to visit the desert or other outdoor sites.
- Safety: Jordan is generally a safe country for tourists, but it is always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings and to avoid any areas that may be considered dangerous.
- Transportation: Jordan has a well-developed transportation system, including buses, trains, and taxis. It is also possible to rent a car, but be aware that driving in Jordan can be challenging due to the traffic and road conditions.
- Food: Jordan is known for its delicious food, which includes a mix of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. Be sure to try dishes such as hummus, falafel, and shawarma, and don’t forget to try some traditional Jordanian sweets like baklava.
- Cultural sites: Jordan is home to many ancient sites, including Petra, which is considered one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. Be sure to also visit Jerash, the Roman city, and the Umm Ar-Rasas, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Bedouin culture: Jordan is home to the Bedouin people, who are known for their traditional way of life and hospitality. Take the opportunity to experience Bedouin culture by visiting a traditional Bedouin camp or taking a guided tour.
- Adventure activities: Jordan offers many adventure activities like hiking, rock climbing, hot air ballooning, and paragliding. It also has many natural reserves and parks like the Dana Nature Reserve, Wadi Rum, and the King’s Highway.
- Shopping: Jordan is known for its handicrafts, such as pottery, textiles, and jewelry. Be sure to visit the souks (markets) to find unique and authentic souvenirs to take home.
Jordan is a beautiful and fascinating country that offers something for everyone. By keeping these 12 things in mind, you’ll be able to make the most of your vacation and have a memorable experience.